Thursday, October 16, 2008

67 years and counting...

Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle. - Amy Bloom


Here are my grandparents in 1941. The year they were married. They were 20 and 21 years old. Can you imagine marrying the person you were dating when you were 21? And then staying married for 67 years?



Here they are at my house the day we celebrated their anniversary.


They have been through a lifetime together. Ups and downs... births, deaths, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, many homes, businesses, travel, through every phase of their life. They recently moved to Atlanta to be closer to our family. It was extremely difficult for them to leave Florida where they went to retire 20+ years ago. They left behind many friends and their FL home they shared many happy memories in. But they made the move and faced this new journey in their life with a wonderful attitude and excitement to be around family.

I asked them at dinner what made their marriage last and what made it so wonderful. Several years ago I asked the same question (I think it was their 63rd anniversary). My grandfather's answer at the time was 3 things... 1) No fighting over money 2) lots of sex (this one was hard not to giggle at) and 3) love. Now in their 67th year together I asked the question again. My grandfather looked at my grandmother and teared up and only had a one word answer this time. "Love".


I hope Dusty and I are around for our 67th wedding anniversary and I hope we are lucky enough to have the entertainment for the occasion be our great grandchildren singing and dancing for us.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet. I'm sure you guys will make it 67 years!!!

Dogwood Girl said...

Dang, Tara. . . You just got me all weepy.

Nat said...

Awww. How is your grandma?