A few weeks ago at a birthday party for our friend Livi, who was turning 4, a group of Chase's friends were talking during the cake festivities. They were answering Natalie's grueling questions while she videotaped them. Tough questions like "What's the best thing about Livi? What do you like to play with Livi? etc." They went around the table and answered or said "pass" if the question was too hard.
Then I heard "What do you want to be when you grow up?", to which Chase replied "A picker-upper!". Hum I was thinking to myself what in the world is a picker-upper? definitely not someone who picks up things like dirty rooms or toys. He can't possibly mean he wants to clean up after people all his life.
Anyway, I didn't think anything of it until a few days later when he said "Mommy, I really do want to be a picker upper when I get big." I asked what is a picker-upper Chase? He responded quite surprised that I didn't know. It was someone who drove around and picked people up! I said oh, like a taxi cab driver? He said "yea, but a long long long car". Oh, a Limo driver! "Yes, that's it Mommy." I told him he could be whatever he wanted to be as long as he was happy.
Then I heard "What do you want to be when you grow up?", to which Chase replied "A picker-upper!". Hum I was thinking to myself what in the world is a picker-upper? definitely not someone who picks up things like dirty rooms or toys. He can't possibly mean he wants to clean up after people all his life.
Anyway, I didn't think anything of it until a few days later when he said "Mommy, I really do want to be a picker upper when I get big." I asked what is a picker-upper Chase? He responded quite surprised that I didn't know. It was someone who drove around and picked people up! I said oh, like a taxi cab driver? He said "yea, but a long long long car". Oh, a Limo driver! "Yes, that's it Mommy." I told him he could be whatever he wanted to be as long as he was happy.
Yesterday at school they went around the room and asked the same question, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Chase told me most of the kids said superheros, or policemen or firefighters. So I asked him, do you still want to be a picker upper? "No, I think I want to be a Daddy when I grow up."
I said, "oh that's cool." Chase said "yea, but I don't want to get married and I don't want any kids. And I'm going to live with you and Daddy until I'm 87."
Sounds like a plan.
4 comments:
Gosh, that is bad news--live with you until he is 87? Exactly what kind of Daddy isn't married and doens't have kids and lives with his parents. I think you need to investigate this further.
That means I will be 117 when he moves out.
So I finally signed up to be able to post comments! Now you will be forced to know what I think all the time.
I think it's great that Chase wants to be a limo driver. I can see him all dressed up in a suit and top hat, very handsome. A driver is a very sophisticated job, Sabrina's father was one afterall.
This gives us great insite as to the type of person Chase is. No matter what he does in life I could always see him happy as a limo driver. Driving a luxurious cars and talking to whomever all day.
I myself wanted to be a fruit picker when I was 4. As I sit here at my desk, building a 50 story condo tower, I think to myself, man I wish I was climbing trees and picking some fruit, somewhere tropical of course.
Hey I'll only be 107!
Kat - Yes you missed your calling.. picking the fruit. I do think a limo driver would be exciting!
Post a Comment