Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Our trip to the ER

Well, one week into turning 4 and already we're visiting the ER. Today was a scary day. I was 30 minutes into running errands after dropping off Chase at school and I got a phone call from his teacher. Chase fell on the playground and cut his lip. I headed back to school thinking he would probably be fine by the time I got there but that was not the case. His lip didn't look that well and I called Dusty to come meet us.

We headed to the Children's Hospital and thankfully we went to the right place. Chase had cut his lip through to part of the muscle and needed a double layer of stitches. They nurses gave him a topical numbing medication and then an oral pain reliver. After being in our room for 3 hours the ER doctor told us they were calling in a plastic surgeon.

Chase received a sedative to keep him calm and still and the surgeon arrived. She was wonderful and gave him 9 stitches total (2 inside and 7 outside). He was such a brave big boy and stayed still while she stitched him up. He was incredibly good!

On the way home his medication was clearly talking when he asked me why I had 4 eyes and kept trying to touch my face.

He's home and he's doing wonderfully now! He's already eaten yogurt, ravioli, and icecream. He also set up his new hotwheel display case that holds 120 cars before bed. Clearly, he is not that affected by his injury.

I think I was more scared than Chase of the stitches as I've never had them. Dusty though is an old pro and told me this was probably our first of many trips to the ER. I really hope not!

2 comments:

Nat said...

Hi T. Uhm I know I am a weirdo but I would like to see pictures of busted lip. Glad our boy wonder is going to be okay. I am sure with our boys we are both in for A LOT of ER visits. We should probably stash an ER bag in the car--extra money, change of shirt, snacks, magazines etc just so we are prepared. I bet that is what ubermoms do. . .

Kristin Kong said...

Yes ubermoms... I have been feeling alot like a dolphin this week. I am sure we are in for alot of ER visits. Sigh.